WIP Thor cosplay
Let me tell you a story all about how my life got Thor’d upside-down
1) Wrapped up a mannequin adjusted to my measurements with cellophane and tape, upon which I drew the design for Thor’s chest plate
2) Cut it off the mannequin and used it as a pattern. Cut the front and back pieces of what will be the chest piece out of floor-mat foam (about 1/2” thick)
3) Began cutting out the rest of the pattern out of craft foam, arranging it on the grey floor mat foam.
4) Used a heat-gun to mold the grey floor-mat foam to my body, quickly undid half of my work in the craft-foam department and had to do it over again.
5) Got all the foam pieces cut out, made a collar out of craft foam, made a belt from reinforced (with leather scraps) craft foam and paper clay/styrofoam balls.
6) Sprayed entire thing with Plasti-dip, then used styrofoam bits and mostly paper clay to sculpt the chest so it has its distinctive 3-D effect.
7) Plasti-dipped it again, learned that plasti-dip eats through any exposed styrofoam and cursed a lot before doing some re-shaping. Added nylon straps under the armpit and at the natural waist. Glued the belt onto the chest, which I should have done in the first place, and added a buckle there as well. Also added a leather piece with a buckle to the collar, to hold the whole thing in place.
8) Cut out the back piece out of floor-mat foam and molded it to my back. Cut the broad top shoulder tiers out of centra. Arranged everything on me for accuracy, then hot-glued and screwed in the shoulders to the back. The cape will flow over these shoulders, and the front and back pieces will be joined at the shoulders because of the cape.
9) Found a navy blue underarmor short-sleeved shirt at goodwill (women’s M, literal perfection). Found a fabric totally by accident at Jo-Ann’s that had square metallic bits as its pattern. Since the metallic bits were totally mirror-reflective, I took a frosting spray to them. Cut out pieces long enough to be covered by my bracers and sewed them onto the shirt. (Can’t take credit for the sewing, that was totally Chajiko).
10) Bought a lace-front blonde wig (from the Arta website). It happened to be longer than needed, but it was the right color and was the only one with a slight wave like Thor’s. Lace-front means it has a hairline, as you can see, that looks natural because there’s a bit of lace left in the front. That will be spirit-gummed down to my forehead to look natural.
And there you have it— my progress so far! Mjolnir is being made by some friends, and my bracers are now put together, though not pictured. The boot covers are also a WIP, and will be made of craft foam and leather. I also need to order blue contacts, and there are several more misc. things to do to the cosplay before it’s ready to be painted.
Questions? Comments? Come at me!
- sunlitequinox likes this
- icedjasmine reblogged this from acquaintedwithrask
- icedjasmine likes this
- deatharising reblogged this from acquaintedwithrask
- stainedbrightly likes this
- mrtusa1980 likes this
- queridoschinelos likes this
- death-frisbe likes this
- cyberpixie likes this
- saint-chan likes this
- littleharleen reblogged this from acquaintedwithrask
- mischiefandseithr likes this
- gripmetightandraisemecoulson likes this
- samlovesdean likes this
- ishipanythingthatbreathes likes this
- sw087 likes this
- wolkentaucher likes this
- lieralolita likes this
- inquisiteurs likes this
- gasumasuku reblogged this from cheskasmagicshire
- gooberfaces reblogged this from cheskasmagicshire
- cheskasmagicshire reblogged this from acquaintedwithrask
- kiku-yui likes this
- one-armed-sad-trash-hobo likes this
- holocaustlunar likes this
- mistressofheartbreak likes this
- copper--cat likes this
- alphabetizingsins likes this
- m24chaffee-fra likes this
- sparkleyparty likes this
- makotosolutions likes this
- squidlymuffin likes this
- fuckingjojos likes this
- avengingvelociraptortimelord likes this
- shizuo-gaywajima likes this
- anrisalikespie likes this
- winforcardgames reblogged this from liesmith-loki
- ladyvengers likes this
- pagingpage likes this
- natasharomonova likes this
- aliuribe likes this
- aprilryn likes this
- lildevilbutt likes this
- lildevilbutt reblogged this from liesmith-loki
- lillytth likes this
- glayish likes this
- abravelittlefoetus likes this
- abravelittlefoetus said: You’re going to be perfect. Oh my actual god, I’m so excited to see how this turns out. Just. ahdtwgskiudtikl YES LET ME LOVE YOU.
- xlaurasaurusrex likes this
- mlpendlessnight said: Look at you go! Awesome!